Asking good questions of your healthcare team can help in providing better overall healthcare, but what questions should you ask your healthcare advisor when you are considering surgery?
These are some of the important questions to ask when considering surgery, ask your healthcare provider to explain the answers clearly.
- Why do I need this surgery?
- Are there other treatment options, and is this surgery the best option for me?
- What are the risks, benefits, and possible complications for this surgery?
- What are my anesthesia options for this surgery?
- Will I need any special preparation before the surgery?
- Will I need to be on a special diet before or after the surgery?
- Will I need to take any special medications before or after my surgery?
- What can I expect after my surgery?
- When will I be able to return to my regular activities such as work, lifting, driving, and exercise?
- Who should I contact if I have more questions?
*Adapted from the Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality